There is a distinct advantage to having a truly bizarre message on your cell phone or answering machine. Those few audacious lines can thwart unwanted voice messages and cause callers and telemarketers to rethink the redial.
I had blogged here about finding the comedic genius that I have since “borrowed” for my outgoing message and how many times I had to call back to get all of the information but my persistence certainly paid off. I have had many missed callers who have failed to leave a message for me and, since I do not run a business from my phone, I have no qualms leaving things at status quo.
I can discern which callers took the time to listen to every word. The messages I do receive from people who have never heard the message before generally begin with light giggles and a true appreciation for the silliness the message represents. I have been encouraged many times to change my voice message but I cannot imagine any other string of words that would amuse me as much as these words.
This is what callers hear when they dial my number:
You have reached the Port Carling Mental Health Hotline.
- If you are obsessive or compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.
- If you are co-dependant, please ask someone to press 2 for you.
- If you have multiple personalities, please press 3,4,5 and 6
- If you are paranoid, we already know who you are and what you want, but stay on the line while we trace your call.
- If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a small voice will tell you which number to press.
- If you are delusional, press 7 and your call will be transferred to the mother ship.
There are extended versions of this message but, sadly, I am only afforded so much time to record my outgoing greeting. If you ever need a good laugh, call me!